ShowTime is a simple and clear clock display. It is intended to take any confusion out of telling not only the time, but whether it is day or night.
For example, in the screenshot above, the time is clearly 5:20. To help user’s see whether it is day or night, there are 3 features which will help:
- Above the time, is a description e.g. “Early Morning” in the example above.
- Besides the time, it is clearly marked as AM or PM.
- Finally, the background colour can be used to help – see below.
- Note – the times for early morning, morning, evening and night can be changed in the app’s settings.
The app can be set up so that the background colour gives a quick visual indication of the time of day. There are 4 settings to change this, which can be changed by tapping the COG button on the bottom-left:
- Night Mode. This is the default mode. In this mode, the background will be black at night. It is considered to be night between 9pm and 6am, by default although the times can now be changed in settings. So perhaps you wake up at 1:30am and are confused about whether it is night or day. The black background will give a very quick indication that it is night.
- There is a similar setting whereby the background will be black after sunset, and becomes white again after sunrise. The times at which the switch from black to white and vice-versa occur will therefore change throughout the year. For the app to work out the correct timings, it asks the user for permission to check the user’s location, when the app starts.
- If you are not interested in this visual aid, you can set the background to be always black, night or day.
- Similarly, you can set the background to be always white, night or day.
Speak the Time
It is possible to have the time and description read out – just tap the speaker button on the top-left of the screen.
24-Hour Clock Display
You can have the time displayed in 24-hour format via a switch in Settings.
Alter Screen Brightness
There is a slider in the Settings screen allowing you to set the brightness level of the display.
Always On Display
If the clock is to be used throughout the night, by the bedside, for example, then it will obviously keep using the device’s battery power. It is therefore advised that the device is plugged in whilst running the app.
If you have any problems with the app or suggestions, please contact the developer